Monday, January 2, 2012

Cookies! : Gingerbread!

My Fried decided to send me a Sweet Gingerbread man Cookie Cutter from (www.thinkgeek.com) for christmas. So I had to make some cookies with it, I also Used a bigfoot Cutter I got from my old roommate from school I used a gingerbread recipe from Online and Doubled it so I could save some dough and make it a little easier to make cookies at a later date. I used the Storybook gingerbread men Recipe Ingredients (this is the original Recipe, Mine was doubled) 1/2 cup shortening 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 3/4 cup molasses 1/4 cup water
This one is an Easy Recipe: first you cream together the shortening and Sugar.
While that is mixing combine all the dry ingredients.
stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl then turn it back on slow and Alternate adding a 1/3 the flour then 1/3 the molasses 1/3 the water
untill all is combined. When it is all mixed scrape down the sides to make sure it really is all combined
Wrap well with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour ( I wrapped in logs so it would be easier to roll into a sheet later on.
after an hour has passed unwrap the dough and roll it out on a floured work surface to about 1/4 inch thick , for the bigfoot cookies I cut them right away and put them in a 360 degree oven for about 10 mins
I chilled the rest of the dough for a bit in the freezer
This dough is a bit soft , But if you can it helps to trasfer doughs (pie crust works well) by rolling them around the pin then unrolling them over a sheet tray or a pie or another counter.. etc
so the cutter would cut them with ease then I could imprint the bones without just mashing through the dough.
The cookie cutter that imprints the men with a skeleton worked pretty well it got stuck once but if you just dust it with flour that issue is solved. After ba king I realized that the Head tended to not hold the shape so well But Afew of the cookies turned out pretty well and after Filling the bone indents with royal icing (egg whites and powdered sugar mixed untill they are the right consistency , I forgot to measure) A few of them Looked Pretty good, Almost too good to eat....
......Almost Thanks Tiffany for the Sweet Cookie Cutter. I'll keep working on getting the final product to turn out just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment